Thursday, November 5, 2015

Stuff I Ate

I have a new favorite food. Garlic Knots!! And the knots at Midtown Crossing Grill, my neighborhood pizza parlor, can be made vegan by request. I've ordered them twice in one week already. They're so soft and garlicky.


I also ordered Midtown Crossing's Spring Rolls last week. They're the best because they're stuffed with candied pecans, and they're served with a wasabi vinaigrette. 


I've actually been on a spring roll kick lately (smack in the middle of fall, I know). I keep rice paper wrappers at home, but for some reason, I mostly only crave them when I'm eating out. Cassi has added spring rolls to her new Pink Diva Cupcakery menu, and I had some of those last week. She stuffs hers with rice noodles, veggies, and basil and serves with soy sauce. 


Also new to Cassi's Pink Diva menu is Chili Mac — vegan mac with tempeh "beef" and non-dairy sour cream. Hearty and satisfying on chilly fall days.


Last weekend at brunch at Imagine Vegan Cafe, I was craving carbs. So I ordered the Biscuits & "Sausage" Gravy. Just what I needed. Not pictured is the order of Garlic Kale on the side because I felt guilty not eating something green.


Last week, I did a vegan cooking demo for the Memphis library system's staff. They have an annual retreat day for employees, and they close all the city libraries that day. And then all of the staff can pick from different workshops and talks. Mine was one of those talks, and I had a great crowd (about 40 people!), most of whom were not vegan. I made two recipes from Cookin' CrunkTofu Eggless Olive Salad and Southwestern Corn Salad. Both were big hits, and so many people came up for seconds and talked to me about how, thanks to the tofu salad recipe, they would be trying other tofu dishes. I tripled the recipes to make sure there were enough samples, and I had just enough leftovers for an open-faced egg salad sandwich and some chips and corn salad when I got home.


And a sandwich the next day, eaten while reading Stacy Schiff's new book The Witches.


One day for lunch, I packed some Daiya Deluxe White Cheddar Style Mac. I think this one is my fave because it comes with dehydrated veggies that rehydrate into lots of green peas, carrots, and red bell peppers.


Drinking lots of post-run smoothies. This week, I've been having this Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie — peanut butter, frozen strawberries, cashew milk, lingonberry jam, and Vega One French Vanilla protein powder.


Today, the Memphis Flyer office (my newspaper day job) had a cookout on the loading dock. Joe, our IT guy and resident burger chef, made sure we had some vegan Boca burgers for the vegetarians.


Lastly, check out this stash of snacks that my dad ordered me from Vegan Essentials. Just because! Earth Balance cheddar kettle chips, J&D's vegan bacon croutons, Love Thy Food chili con queso, Viana onion butter, Wayfare Pig Out bacony bits, Parmela Creamery chipotle nut cheese, Wheaty Spacebar, and some yummy raw white chocolate by Organic Nectars. Thanks Papa Crunk!

7 comments:

Hillary said...

That's so awesome that you inspired non vegans to be interested in tofu! Everything looks amazing, I love corn salad!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Biscuits and gravy!! Garlic knots!! I miss America, it would be so cool to be able I get those cooked for me over here!

Jennifer said...

It is nice to see non-vegans want to learn about veganism. Nothing drives me nuts when families don't bother learning anything about how to cook vegan *cough* I might be a little spiteful about my family lol.

Lisa Viger said...

Biscuits and gravy!!! omg ... Much have some!!

Amey said...

I have so much to say about this excellent post! I really love fresh spring rolls, but apprently I really suck at rolling them up. Whenever I make them at home they're too loose and sloppy. So I like to order them when I go out. I love that you had so many people (especially non-vegans) at your class!! That is so rad -- true activism! And I love that so many of them were introduced to the wonders of tofu. Way to go, Bianca! I love all the goodies your dad got you. I am a total nut for those Wayfare Pig Outs. Whenever I buy them, I just end up eating the whole thing straight out of the baggie. I haven't tried the Parmela nacho cheese, it sounds great! I like their products a lot. :)

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Aww, Papa Crunk is so awesome! I love seeing the care packages he buys you. <3

Susan said...

I am now craving garlic knots for breakfast! I love rice paper rolls as well, and tend to order them if they are on a menu when I go out.
Papa Crunk is awesome! I am particularly coveting your Wayfare Pig Out bits. I only have a small amount left from my US travels and I will be so sad when there are no more for me.