Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Vegan Snack Box from the U.K.!

There's something terribly exciting about receiving an international care package. Back in the early vegan blogging days, a few of us would occasionally swap boxes, and I remember receiving a very special package from Mihl at Seitan Is My Motor — lots of German goodies! I also love it when my friend Stephanie, whose husband Richard is British, goes on vacation to visit his family and brings me back British treats.

So when the folks at the U.K.-based vegan snack box company, Vegan Tuck Box, asked if I'd like to review their monthly box, I jumped at the chance. It arrived a few weeks ago, and opening it was such fun! I loved going through every item!


There is so much awesomeness in this snack box! Lots of chocolate! Raw crackers! Seeds! Chips (or "crisps" as they say across the pond)! Even a tiny cashew milk!

I'm a savory girl, so the first thing I went for were the Golden Apple Organic Raw Crackers in Onion and Garlic. Holy crap! I knew they'd be good, but I wasn't expecting them to be this good! These raw crackers have an almost buttery mouthfeel. They'd be great with a hummus or spread, but I couldn't even wait for that. They're so perfect on their own!


I kept most of the snacks on my desk for mid-day snacking. But I did take the Meet Your Maca Superseeds home to use as a topping on my morning oats. These are pepita and sunflower seeds coated in maca powder. They were a lovely topping for my bowl of oats with PB2 and strawberries.


I tried the Tuk Tuk Thai Summer Heat Spicy Peanuts one day as a morning snack. These are so much more than just peanuts. The mix also has coconut, lemongrass, red pepper, and lime leaves, and they're all coated in a salty, tangy Thai spice mix.


All of the chocolate looked good, but the one that stood out first was the iChoc Choco Cookie bar because cookies! This is a creamy rice milk chocolate with crunchy chocolate cookies. Mmmm ....


The Doves Farm Fig & Linseed Flapjack Bar was a great snack before my Thursday noon yoga class! It kept me satisfied until I could get lunch afterward. I'm not sure what a linseed is (or what flapjack means here ... isn't that a pancake?). But I don't even care because it was delicious. Very oaty and soft and only slightly sweet.


UPDATE from commenter Lakkalakka: "Flapjacks are basically a kind of cereal bar made from oats and lots of fatty, sticky things to bind it together like a sugar syrup called golden syrup, and typically butter but you can use oil instead! It's one of the first things I learnt to bake, I like to throw in raisins and chocolate chips too! Oh, and linseeds are just another name for flaxseeds."

The Doisy & Dam Coconut & Lucuma Chocolate was dark and lovely with crunchy bits of coconut and antioxidant-rich lucuma. This was practically health food!


I was way excited about the Vego Whole Hazelnut Bar because I'd just read about these in one of Jojo's posts on Vegan In Brighton. It has creamy vegan chocolate and whole hazelnuts! Hazelnuts and chocolate are pretty much the best combo ever.


Now, I'm not typically the biggest fan of fruit chips just because I'd rather have chocolate or nuts or potato chips over fruit. I'm a true junk food lover. But these Emily's Fruit Crisps were seriously the best apple chips I've ever had. They're not just dehydrated like some brands. They're cooked with oil, and that makes them a little junk food-ish but healthy at the same time. And that's my kinda food.


Finally, today, I tried the When Hickory Got BBQ'd Ten Acre Crisps alongside my lunch sandwich. These were classic BBQ chips, and I loved every bite. I may have licked the bag when I was done, but you didn't see me, so it didn't happen.


There are still a few more items I've yet to try. Can't wait to bite into that Sarelle bar because Amey from Vegan Eats & Treats (who also reviewed the Vegan Tuck Box) said the hazelnut chocolate wafer was her very fave. And the Provamel Cashew Milk will make a perfect afternoon treat soon! The Dark Chocolate Covered Cocomel's (chocolate-covered caramel) are actually a U.S.-made treat, but I've never seen them, so I'm very excited to try these too!

Vegan Tuck Box is available in the U.K., of course! But U.S. snack fans can order it too! Of course, shipping is a little high for us over here, but hey, you're getting special treats from the U.K. And as someone who ships her own cookbooks overseas sometimes, I know how high international shipping rates can be for many things! If you're interested, you can order a single box or subscribe monthly. And if you're not a big snacker, you can also save some money by ordering the mini box, which has about five to six items instead of 10 to 12.

8 comments:

Amey said...

yay! I love reading your post and reliving the glory of so many great snacks. I think I am going to splurge and order myself this box a few times a year, since I liked it so much. Also, she told me that they were able to bring the cost of international shipping down by a couple dollars, which is really great. :)

lakkalakka said...

Flapjacks are basically a kind of cereal bar made from oats and lots of fatty, sticky things to bind it together like a sugar syrup called golden syrup, and typically butter but you can use oil instead! It's one of the first things I learnt to bake, I like to throw in raisins and chocolate chips too! Oh, and linseeds are just another name for flaxseeds.

Bianca said...

Awww, thanks Lakkalakka!

Jenny said...

Soooo jealous! I want to try ALL of these.

Unknown said...

This looks so yummy, I think I am going to have to get me one of these

River said...

I have food envy! Receiving international care packages really is exciting.

(Old lady alert) I remember the times when I used to write actual letters to relatives and a couple of pen pals that lived abroad. Receiving a letter from abroad in the mail was always such a treat! An entire box of goodies is beyond awesome! :)

Halfbloodpixie said...

I loved this post. I'm from the UK, but never seen any of these products before!

Unknown said...

I was just looking at this company funnily enough as I really want to go vegan, but think I need some tasty snacks to help with the transition :)