Monday, May 4, 2015

Mama Crunk's Birthday!

Mama Crunk turned 61 today! Can you believe this woman is 61?


We celebrated with cupcakes and Chinese takeout. I drove to Jonesboro, and my mama and me got in her car and drove to Oriental Express. I got the General Tso's Tofu with extra veggies.


And we got an order of Vegetable Tempura to split. They assured me that they didn't use eggs in the batter. Our order had battered sweet potato (or was it carrot?), green beans, and mushrooms. The mushrooms were my fave.


Before I left for Jonesboro, I stopped by Cassi's Pink Diva Cupcakery and picked up three Cookie Butter Cupcakes to bring with me.


I love how having Cassi's bakery across from my house means me never having to bake a dozen cupcakes when we only need just a few. This was a new flavor — chocolate cake stuffed with Trader Joe's Chocolate Cookie Butter, cookie buttercream, and a Speculoos cookie on top. Both my parents loved these.

In fact, while my mama and me were picking up the takeout, my daddy was busy sneaking bites of the frosting on his. Here's what his looked like when we got back with dinner.


After he ate the whole thing, he gave the cakes a thumbs up!


After dinner and cakes, mama opened presents while we watched Dancing with the Stars. And then I drove home. Happy birthday, Mama Crunk!


9 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Wishing your mom a VERY happy birthday! So fabulous you celebrated together.

Cadry's Kitchen said...

Happy birthday to your mom! It looks like a fun night. And I seriously envy you having access to fancy vegan cupcakes just across the street!

Hillary said...

Those cupcakes look amazing! I am like your dad, I love the frosting soooo much! Your mom looks amazing, and I wish her Happy Birthday!

Barb@ThatWasVegan? said...

You and your mama are sweet together!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Unfortunately, Oriental Express isn't as vegan/vegetarian friendly as it appears to be. The last time I was there I really grilled the waiter on the ingredients in their tofu dishes. At first he said they were vegetarian but after talking to the kitchen to confirm, he told me that all of the sauces they use for the tofu dishes have oyster sauce in them. Also, the vegetable spring rolls have chicken broth in them. This was really upsetting news as I'd eaten there several times before discovering this. The really annoying thing is that I've asked every other time I've eaten there whether things were vegetarian, and they always said "yes" without bothering to check. Maybe they think oyster sauce is vegetarian?

Babette said...

Happy belated birthday to your mom!

Bianca said...

Hi Anonymous, good lookin' out. Next time, I'll ask to make sure, if the dish I order typically has oyster sauce, if they can leave it out. They did tell us that the rolls had chicken though. So we didn't order those.

I don't sweat that stuff too much in restaurants. Just hope for the best and don't ask too many questions cause I usually don't wanna know. :-)

Anonymous said...

I thought your mom was in her 40s!

Crista said...

Mama Crunk looks damn good for 61! She's my hero. Also... those cupcakes....