Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Plates Made From Plants!

Hey, it's Earth Month! Of course, Earth Day should be everyday, but let's face it — we're all guilty of being not-so-Earth-friendly now and then. Sometimes, I forget my reusable bags at the grocery store (the shame!). I don't always remember to recycle paper (even though I never forget cans and glass, strangely). I often drive to places that I could easily walk to. And I'm sure I buy all kinds of products laden with chemicals and excess packaging.

But this is the month when I'm reminded that I need to do better. I'll strive to be more sustainable in all kinds of ways. And that'll be just a bit easier thanks to a new line of eco-friendly tableware by Ethos Planetware. This is a line of plates, cups, and bowls that are made from plants (bamboo, rice, and corn) and are free of chemicals and other synthetic ingredients.


They've just launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise $20,000 to begin production, and the nice folks at Ethos sent me a couple of sample items to try out! That giant fruit bowl up there is my favorite piece! It's massive, perfect for stashing oranges, limes, apples, tomatoes, avocados, or whatever fruit belongs on the counter.

They also sent over an 11-inch dinner plate, which I used tonight to serve up some Whole Wheat Potato Gnocchi with Vegan Alfredo. The gnocchi came from Aldi, and the alfredo was made using tofu and cashew milk (recipe is in Happy Herbivore).


And they sent me an 8-inch salad plate, which I found is also the perfect size for two Gardein Chick'n Sliders! God, I love those little vegan sliders!


This color is Alder Orange, but the sets come in three other vibrant colors (Sassafras Yellow, Elderberry Red, and Matcha Green) or natural brown. Don't worry. The plates get their color from vegetable dyes, not chemicals. My favorite piece is the Traveler Mug. Look at that hemp sleeve!

Pic from Ethos Kickstarter page

I especially love the texture of these plates. They have a sort of rough texture but they're still smooth, just not glossy. It's hard to explain, but they just feel, well, natural.

Ethos Planetware is microwave- and dishwasher-safe. It's shatter-proof. And should you ever decide to throw it away (which would be crazy), it will compost in two years! How cool is that?! The campaign ends in about a month and a half, so get over there and donate! I'm gonna donate at the $18 level because a) that's all I can afford and b) that's all it takes to get a traveler mug. And I need that in my life. But if you donate more, you can get an entire dinner set!

1 comment:

Hannah Siegmund @ ThisVeganWhimsy said...

These are so cool! I've never seen any dishes like this before. I'm so happy you've featured them to get the word out!