Monday, October 13, 2008

Good Gravy!

A few days ago, Shellyfish on Musings from the Fishbowl wrote an inspiring post about enjoying the finer things in life — long walks in the woods, the last of summer's berries, a few more summer tomatoes. In the post, she included her Great Grandmother Antonia's recipe for Garlic Gravy, which is really just a cute name for a super garlicky marinara.

I love a simple pasta sauce made with fresh, chopped tomatoes, especially when it's loaded with garlic. So last night, I made Shellyfish's Grandma's Garlic Gravy Over Whole Wheat Rotini with Meatless Meatballs:

With only five ingredients, this stuff is so simple and satisfying. It just takes a bulb of garlic, tomato paste, parsley, salt, and a few fresh chopped tomatoes, which I picked up at the farmer's market on Saturday (only two market days left before the end of the season!!!).

The meatless meatballs were cheaters though. They're the Light Life brand and they come already rolled up and ready to go. Honestly, I just had some in the freezer that needed to be eaten. They're good though. Thanks Shellyfish!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yippie for Garlic Gravy! :)
Isn't it so good? Your photo is just beautiful, Bianca. This is what I love about our blogging community - hanging out with my blogger friends & sharing recipes. You're the best!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Simply a delicious meal!!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Pasta and tomato sauce is always so delicious, especially extra garlicky.

Brad and Ahnah said...

That garlic gravy is really making me hungry! And your photo is amazing! Looks so tasty.

P.S. Sadly I won't be able to make it friday, I had already commited to a halloween party that evening. I hope you have a blast and take lots of pics!!

Anonymous said...

it looks like a dream!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Mmm, such a simple, yet SUPER-satisfying meal.

Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome. I'm always looking for ways to use up my tomato paste tube.

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Bianca, this looks so good! Simple and fresh.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I love the sound of that simple gravy! It looks delicious too.

jessy said...

what a glorious look'n garlic gravy, Bianca! and how cool of Shelly to share with all of us, too! i want to see if i can snag some of the season's last tomatoes and make some as well - 'cause you make it look amazing! and i'm digg'n the whole wheat rotini. rotini = my favorite pasta shape! yay!

J said...

A garlicky-tomatoey sauce sounds perfect to me. Yummy! I need to go check out her recipe.

Jen said...

awesome! the gravy mix is an awful lot like my vinnie's marinara sauce. yay for itallian fud!

VeganCowGirl said...

Looks fantastic bianca! Whoop whoop for vegan blog collaboration.

Sweet Tooth’s Anonymous! said...

Hey, i'm sure you've answered this question 1,000,000 times already but where is Deja Vu? I have been googling it and cannot find it anywhere??
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

May I come over to enjoy the simple things in life at your dinner table?

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Hehe love the post title.

And homemade pasta sauc is the best... especially if it's Miss Shellyfish's recipe!

alaina said...

garlicky tomato sauce is fab!

Vegan In The VI said...

We're having the same thing tonight! Except with Prego sauce...and Whole Foods Vegan Meatballs...and Capellini Pasta...but great minds think alike!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

YUM!! Way to break in the new kitchen! You've been making all kinds of yummies in there!
Shellyfish rocks!!

Marisa L. S. said...

Yum, looks like great comfort food!

Happy birthday to you too!

Unfortunately my school's new blocking software keeps me from blogging at work! I guess that's why I've been MIA for a while!

Chelsea said...

Yay - simple tasty recipes are my favorite!

Anonymous said...

I loved that post, too! The color in that marinara sauce is amazing! I guess that's the benefit to farmer's market tomatoes. We only have two more market days left, too. Sad times!