Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Enchiladas for Breakfast

I love hearty, savory breakfasts! On Sunday night, I scrambled some tofu with black beans to heat up throughout the week as Breakfast Enchiladas:


They're not technically enchiladas because they're covered in peach salsa rather than traditional enchilada sauce. But they look like enchiladas, so that's what I'm callin' 'em.


Each morning this week, I've heated three corn tortillas in a dry skillet and then filled them with the tofu mixture, a little salsa, and shredded Teese. I also sprinkled Teese on top with more salsa because I'm greedy like that. Then I popped them in the microwave for 2 1/2 minutes, and voila, breakfast is on the table.

Bianca's Breakfast Enchiladas
------------------------------
1/2 lb. tofu
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 to 4 dashes hot sauce
12 corn tortillas
Salsa
Vegan cheese, shredded (optional)

Spray a skillet with cooking spray and turn on medium heat. Crumble tofu into skillet and mix in seasoning. Cook, stirring often, until any water from the tofu is absorbed and tofu is hot, about 5 minutes.

Add black beans and hot sauce and cook until beans are hot, about 5 minutes.

While tofu/bean mixture is cooking, warm corn tortillas in a dry skillet over low heat. Warm each side for about 45 seconds to 1 minute.

Place about 3 tablespoons of the tofu/bean mixture in the center of each tortilla and roll up. Place rolled tortillas in a baking dish and top with salsa and vegan cheese. Bake about 10 minutes or until vegan cheese is melted (or at least hot … it doesn’t always melt) or microwave for a couple minutes until cheese is melted.

Serves 4-5.
-------------------------------

By the way, the super-duper awesome Jenny at Small Space Sweets passed me the Brilliante Weblog Award!


Now I'm supposed to nominate a pass it to seven others. So here goes. The Brillante Weblog Award goes to:

Steph at Poopie Bitch
Nikki at My New Vegetarian Life
Katy at Legally Vegan
Cyn at What the Hell Does a Pink-Haired Girl Eat?

Thedalyn at The Palatial Palate
Justin at The Chubby Vegetarian

Lady Liriel at The Vegan Grindhouse

20 comments:

Radish said...

Thanks for the tip about the flour!
I've never used whole wheat pastry flour before, so I'll definitely try that :)

Theresa said...

Enchiladas for breakfast sounds like a great idea! Congratulations on your brilliante award :)

Theresa said...

Oh! By the way, capsicum is the aussie word for bell peppers. "Pepper" only ever applies to salt's companion; capsicum are the sweet bell's, and chilli is the spicy variety.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the award! You totally deserve it. Your enchiladas are just beautiful and they would be even more so if they were here with me!

thedalyn said...

Anything vaguely mexicanfoodlike makes a good meal--especially breakfast. And thanks for the award, though my name is 'Teresa'...
--dalyn

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the award pass -I feel all kinda - awww shucks!

As for the enchiladas - I swear our food mind is collective - I have the makings for potato enchiladas right on the counter!

Little Miss Sunshine said...

Oh man, enchiladas for breakfast sounds like a perfect plan to me ... esp in this cold weather!!

OH!! CONGRATS on your award ... your blog is awesome!

Katy said...

Thanks Bianca! I just love your blog. You always leave me hungry and wanting to invite myself over for dinner! And now breakfast too!

Avery Yale Kamila said...

Those enchiladas look amazing! I really love anything in a corn tortilla and the idea of eating them for breakfast is really super!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oooh, what a FABULOUS savory breakfast meal!!

Congratulations on the award!!

Andréa said...

Wow- this looks delicious!! I loved the idea and it sounds easy too. I'm totally gonna try. R and I are fans of savory (and mexican) food for brunch.

I hadn't been here in a while so I took a loooong look. Everything looks great, as always. And congrats on your 4th anniversary and your brilliant award!

Cheers~

Anonymous said...

Very delisciuos looking breakfast!!!

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

Peach salsa is so appropriate for summertime breakfast enchiladas! Your recipe and pictures look yummy!

Kumudha said...

Enchiladas for breakfast sounds great!

jessy said...

oh my goodness these look awesome! we're headed for the beach next week and you better believe i'm making these while we're there! awesome!!!!!!!!!! and congrats on the award, Bianca! i looooooove vegan crunk - you create the most bad ass southern vegan grub ever! it's freak'n awesome! i love it -and i super love your blog! :D

Anonymous said...

Those enchiladas look so tasty! And thanks so much for the award. I got an award! Yay!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Congrats Bianca! You deserve it. Those enchiladas look totally delicious.

Brad and Ahnah said...

Congratulations on the award! You deserve it! I am so glad I am not the only one who mixes black beans with tofu scramble!

Thanks so much for the Weblog award. It means alot being a new blogger. I swear I think i'm losing my mind, I really thought I left you a comment last night? It's my mind, it's almost gone. LOL

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

Thank you for the award thingy. I have not prepared a speech or anything, but i'd like to thank my parents and my wife and......oh, am i running out of time.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here vegancrunk.blogspot.com. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. Here is a fact for you. Research indicates that nearly 90% of all USA grownups are either chubby or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.